Secretary is the Chief Accounting Authority of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare discharges his duty with the assistance of Additional Secretary (Financial Advisor) and Chief Controller of Accounts. The Chief Controller of Accounts is the Head of the Accounting Organization of Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. Chief Controller of Accounts is assisted by two Dy. Controller of Accounts, 34 Senior Accounts Officers/Accounts Officer, 39 Assistant Accounts Officers and about 200 other staff members at various levels. The office of Chief Controller of Accounts is responsible for:
• Receipts, Payments and Accounts • Accurate and timely payments in conformity with prescribed rules and regulations of Drawing and Disbursing Officers located at the Headquarters.
• Accountal and timely realization of Receipt of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
• Compilation and incorporation of list of payments submitted by 11 PAOs.
• Compilation and incorporation of monthly cash accounts submitted.
• Timely and accurate compilation and consolidation of monthly and annual accounts and submission thereof to Controller General of Accounts.
• Adherence to prescribed accounting standards, rules and principles.
• Timely, accurate, comprehensive, relevant and useful Financial Reporting.
• Monitoring of expenditure in relation to the approved budget.
• Preparation of Annual Appropriation Accounts, duly audited, for the grants controlled by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
• Internal Audit/Post Audit • Arranging internal inspection of payment and accounts records maintained by the various DDOs of Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and Grantee Organisations of Ministry of Health & Family.
• Assessment of adequacy and effectiveness of Internal controls in general, and soundness of financial systems and reliability of financial and accounting reports in particular.
• Ensuring Post-check of payments in all cases where the payment function is with the departmental officers.
• Other Activities • Speedy settlement of Pensions, Provident Fund and other claims.
• Making available accounting information to concerned authorities for effective Financial Management.
• Issue of quarterly Letters of Credit to Cheque Drawing DDOs.
• Rendering technical advice to the Ministry.
• Procuring and supplying cheque books to Cheque drawing DDOs and PAOs.
• Arranging allotment of Account Code from Ministry of Finance for newly created account heads.
• Arranging allotment of DDO Code for newly created DDOs.
• Making banking arrangements for newly created DDOs.