The Ministry of Health & Family Welfare has four Departments i.e. Department of Health and Family Welfare and Department of AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Sidhha, and Homeopathy), Department of Health Research and Department of AIDS Control. There is a common Accounting Wing for all four Departments. The Accounts Wing is functioning under the supervision of a Chief Controller of Accounts supported by a Controller of Accounts (C.A.), a Deputy Controller of Accounts and eleven Pay and Accounts Offices in the field.
In addition, there are eleven encadred posts of the Accounts Officers - AO (Cash), AO (AP), AO (UIP), AO (NAMP), AO GMSD (Delhi), GMSD (Guwahati), GMSD (Mumbai), GMSD (Hyderabad), GMSD (Karnal), GMSD (Kolkata) and GMSD (Chennai).
There is a common Internal Audit Wing for four Departments which also carries out the inspection of all the cheque drawing and non cheque drawing DDOs, Pr. Accounts Office and all PAOs. There are 5 Field Inspection Parties located at Delhi, Chandigarh, Mumbai, Kolkata and Banglore.
In addition to the staff of the Accounts Wing, there are ten posts of Accounts Officers in the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, which are being operated either on deputation or by promotion of the non- specialized staff.
The organizational setup of the Chief Controller of Accounts is responsible for the following major tasks: -
1. Making Payments to the wings, Subordinate Attached Offices, Autonomous Bodies, Societies and Associations, Public Sector Undertakings and the State Governments.
2. Accepting, accounting and budgeting the receipts of the four Departments of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
3. Preparation of Monthly Accounts, Annual Appropriation Accounts and Statements of Central Transactions and their submission to the Controller General of Accounts.
4. Preparation of Annual Budget including the Performance Budget in Coordination with the Ministry of Finance in the budget process during the year.
5. Monitoring/disposal of all the audit paras and observations made by the Comptroller and Auditor General (C&AG) of India in its annual reports (civil and commercial) and in the general inspection reports. Coordination with Monitoring Cell of the Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance for the ‘Action Taken Note’.
6. Monitoring disposal of all the audit paras and Observations coming under the purview of the Public Accounts Committee and other Parliamentary Committees.
7. Internal Audit/Inspection of the accounts of all the wings of the Ministry.